Lumbar Stenosis Surgery in New Jersey
When it comes to Lumbar Stenosis surgery, New Jersey spine surgeon Dr. Joshua Rovner has the comprehensive experience patients trust. As one of the state’s leading destinations for spine surgery & treatment in NJ, Lumbar Stenosis is a spinal condition that Dr. Rovner and his advanced surgical team treats.
If you’re suffering from consistent lower back pain accompanied by pain in the buttocks and/or legs, you might be suffering from Spinal Stenosis. This can happen as you get older and the spinal canal in your lumbar spine (lower back) narrows. This narrowing puts pressure on the nerves that have roots in the spinal cord. These nerves connect your lower back to your legs, resulting in the accompanied leg pain.
Causes of Lumbar Stenosis
Your spinal canal narrows as part of the natural aging process and with repeated stress put on it over the years. When the spinal canal narrows it compresses and irritates nerve roots and causes pain in your lower back, buttocks, and legs:
- Discs can shrink, losing their ability to keep vertebrae separated
- Ligaments surrounding the spinal cord can expand
- Arthritic joints between vertebrae can enlarge and pinch nerves
Symptoms of Lumbar Stenosis
Lumbar Stenosis can cause pain in the lower back, hips, buttocks, and legs. Some of the symptoms you might feel are:
- Pain starting from the lower back and continuing down to one or both buttocks, legs, or feet
- Pain that is more intense when walking
- Numbness or tingling in the leg or foot
- Weakness in the leg or foot
- Tired feeling in legs with walking
- Improved walking ability while leaning forward (such as on a shopping cart)
- Problems with bladder or bowel control (requires immediate medical attention)
Diagnosis of Lumbar Stenosis
During a consultation at Progressive Spine & Orthopaedics, Dr. Rovner will:
- Review your medical history and any test results you bring with you.
- Determine the cause of your symptoms through a physical exam.
- Order any necessary tests, e.g. x-rays or MRI scans.
- Educate you on your diagnosis.
- Provide and discuss treatment options with you, including risks and benefits.
- Together, you will decide on the treatment option that works best for you.
Treatment of Lumbar Stenosis
Dr. Rovner recommends surgical treatment only as a last resort. If your diagnosis is a cervical disc herniation, the treatment options he’ll discuss with you are
- Modified activity
- Epidural Steroid injections
- Physical therapy
- Surgery: lumbar laminectomy
Your New Jersey Spine Surgeon for Lumbar Stenosis Treatment
As an award-winning New Jersey spine surgeon, Dr. Joshua Rovner delivers comprehensive treatment for Lumbar Stenosis, with both surgical and non-surgical options. Board certified to practice in New York and New Jersey, Dr. Joshua Rovner is among few spine surgeons in NJ with depth of experience and expertise for treatment of spinal conditions along with advanced and minimally-invasive spinal surgery. Schedule a consultation today and contact us.